General Liability Insurance for Hospital Based Physicians
Hospitals and surgery centers require physicians to carry medical malpractice insurance, but General Liability Insurance coverage is not required. The need to carry General Liability Insurance is misunderstood by many hospital- based physicians, as they assume their malpractice policy covers any liability exposure they might face.
General Liability Insurance is carried by most commercial businesses and covers third party Bodily Injury, Property Damage and Personal Injury.
Personal Injury insurance covers Libel, Slander, Invasion of Privacy, False Arrest, etc. The need for General Liability Insurance can be highlighted by the following examples:
- An anesthesiologist was on OB call and was late getting to labor and delivery. He was hurrying down the hallway and went through a swinging door knocking down a salesman who fell and broke his wrist. The salesman was taken to the ER and treated. Two weeks later the doctor received a bill from the hospital for the ER charges and discovered his malpractice policy only covered direct patient care. He was responsible for the charges. A General Liability Insurance policy would have paid the charges under the “Bodily Injury” provisions of the policy.
- In the event confidential patient information is unintentionally disclosed which results in damages to the patient or any related persons, the personal injury provisions of the General Liability policy would provide coverage, including defense cost.
Considering the potential cost of a general liability claim, including defense costs, and because the coverage is relatively inexpensive, a General Liability Insurance policy should be a part of every physician’s insurance program. Schweickert & Company has several major insurance carriers who will write General Liability Insurance coverage with annual premiums as low as $425. Give us a call and let us provide you with a quick review of you coverage and a quote for this valuable coverage or complete the short quote form.
There are many other areas of insurance coverage that Schweickert & Company may be able to help you with, including both your personal and business related needs such as:
- Life Insurance and Estate Planning
- Group or individual disability insurance
- Group or individual health insurance
- All types of commercial and personal auto and property insurance
- Workers Compensation
Schweickert & Company is in a position to help you with any type of insurance protections you may need.
Please feel free to call or email us with any questions you may have on any of your current policies or any future needs you may have.